The news of the devastation in Haiti saturates our print and electronic media. The immensity of nature’s destruction in this poor country at once fascinates and appalls us. Fortunately it also draws forth our compassion. Above all, what is needed is our action.
The effort of the world’s relief organizations, medical assistance and relief workers has been stymied by the descruction of what little infrastructure Haiti had to begin with. Some of the barriers, however, have been overcome and food, medicine and other resources are getting through. Much more is needed.
Not many of us can go to the source and help. However, we can choose to donate what we can to aid those who have suffered and lost so much. Here is a partial listing of organizations that are providing aid:
- Action Against Hunger 877-777-1420
- American Friends Service Committee 215-241-7000
- American Red Cross 800-733-2767
- Care 800-521-2273
- American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee 212-687-6200
- Catholic Relief Services 800-736-3467
- Doctors Without Borders 888-392-0392
- Oxfam America 800-776-9326
A far more complete listing can be found on today’s New York Times online edition.
When we give, we touch the lives of others. When we reflect deeply on the suffering of others, we give energy to the source of our love and compassion. We intuitively understand we are one with all sentient beings. Please give.