Award-winning journalist and executive communications consultant Tim Hayes brings three decades of outstanding communications counsel and tactical experience – particularly at the leadership level – to clients. As President of Tim Hayes Consulting, home of the TOTAL PRO™ suite of leadership coaching options, Tim has provided individualized and group-based training in presentation skills and media interactions to clients across the nation.
He has been named the No. 1 Speechwriter by the Washington, DC, chapter of the International Association of Business Communicators; winner of the top speech in the nation by PR News in its Platinum PR Awards; a national Cicero Speechwriting Award winner; and winner of the PRSA Renaissance Award for excellence in sustainability report writing. He is the subject of two USA Today articles, is a regular guest expert on regional and national radio programs, and has become recognized as a national resource regarding helping leaders perfect their public personas.
Tim has worked directly with CEOs and other senior executives of major corporations, including Chrysler, United States Steel Corp., H.J. Heinz Company, PNC Financial Services Group Inc., Mellon Financial Corp., BAE Systems Inc., Florida Power & Light, Flour Corporation, Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield, Banco Santander Corp., Federated Investors Inc., Wabtec Inc., Michael Baker Corp., Kennametal Inc., J.J. Gumberg Co., iGate Global Solutions Inc., GNC Inc., Universal Stainless & Alloy Products Inc., Allegheny Ludlum Inc., PPL Corporation, Grant Thornton LLC, and the Pittsburgh Steelers. His career began as a newspaper reporter, where he won awards for news coverage of his alma mater, Indiana University of Pennsylvania. Tim earned a bachelor’s degree in journalism from IUP in 1982.
TIMOTHY P. HAYES
103 Yorkshire Drive
Pittsburgh, PA 15238
Multi-award winning communications professional with superior speechwriting and presentation skills coaching expertise, and a proven ability to achieve trust and offer counsel to officers at the highest levels from a variety of industries on strategic communications.
Tim Hayes Consulting, Pittsburgh, PA, Nov. 2000 to present.
- Provided speechwriting, shareholder communications support and presentation skills training to CEOs and senior executives of companies including Daimler-Chrysler, Fleet Boston, H.J. Heinz Company, PNC Financial Services Group, Mellon Financial Corp., Banco Santander Corp., GNC Inc., iGate Solutions Inc., Kennametal Inc., Michael Baker Corp., Wabtec Inc., and Federated Investors, among others.
- Named the designated external speechwriting and presentation skills coaching resource for CEOs of both U.S. Steel Corp. and Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield Inc.
- Delivered unique, highly personalized, and uniformly well-received presentation skills training to organizations of all sizes, through group or one-to-one sessions. Drawing on 30 years of award-winning speechwriting and presentation skills coaching experience, helped C-suite and those at all levels of management organize messages with clarity and convey them with conviction.
- Established executive communications consulting business serving clients nationwide through CEO-level strategic communications counsel, speechwriting, annual report writing, sustainability report writing, message development, public relations and investor relations services.
- Led comprehensive communications efforts to: overcome hostile shareholder proposals; launch major non-profit efforts funded through Congress; introduce new executive leadership teams and their organizations to the marketplace; and motivate global teams of employees to achieve performance goals.
Vice President and Manager of Strategic Communications
Mellon Financial Corporation, Pittsburgh, PA, June 1999 to October 2000.
- Served as dedicated speechwriter and presentation skills trainer to Chairman and CEO, winning six regional and national awards for writing excellence. Wrote Chairman’s Letter for the corporation’s annual report to shareholders, winning an international award for excellence.
- Had speeches reprinted in Vital Speeches of the Day and The Executive Speaker. Was selected twice in 2000 for “Speech of the Month” in the international editions of Speechwriter’s Newsletter.
Vice President of Public Relations
Quest Fore, Pittsburgh, PA, October 1997 to May 1999.
- Developed Public Relations practice at strategic marketing communications firm, specializing in writing for and providing presentation skills training to CEOs and executives at a number of technology-based, financial services, public utility and manufacturing firms, as well as governmental entities. Worked in market entry and brand-building campaigns, public works projects, economic development initiatives, media relations and B2B communications.
- Responsible for launching Public Relations function; hired and supervised staff; managed budget; won new business; wrote strategic public relations/marketing plans.
Vice President and Manager of Corporation Communications
PNC Bank Corp., Pittsburgh, PA, October 1992 to October 1997.
- Wrote speeches for and provided presentation skills coaching to Chairman/CEO, President and other key executives, winning three regional speechwriting awards. This included key strategic presentations to investment analysts in New York and other major cities, annual meeting remarks to shareholders, internal events and celebrations, and community events.
- Planned and executed communications for the corporation’s largest line of business. Performed executive speechwriting, served as lead informational resource on major consumer issues, coordinated media messages with regional spokespersons, and produced video magazine.
- Planned and executed communications for the corporation’s largest geographic market. Performed executive speechwriting and presentation coaching, maintained high visibility and positive community image, oversaw direct interaction with various community organizations and provided personal communications counsel among senior managers.
Senior Account Supervisor
Hill and Knowlton, Inc., Pittsburgh, PA, September 1991 to October 1992.
- Served this international public relations agency as a key speechwriting and presentation skills training consultant to executives of client companies, including all internal and external presenters at a global conference of a multi-national corporation.
Senior Information Specialist
Pennsylvania Power & Light Co., Allentown, PA, July 1985 to August 1991.
- Served as primary speechwriter and presentation skills coach for the Chairman/CEO and other senior executives of this leading electric utility, providing annual meeting remarks, testimony before regulatory commissions, and other key internal and external speeches.
- Acted as key writer dedicated to the Susquehanna nuclear power plant; provided communications support and strategic issues management to the environmental division; and supported external marketing and economic development initiatives. Wrote narrative portions of the annual report.
Community Relations Coordinator
Pa. Dept. of Transportation, Hollidaysburg, PA, October 1984 to July 1985.
- Conducted public meetings and special events; served as district’s primary spokesperson.
- Produced district’s annual report; initiated update newsletter on road construction projects aimed at key community leaders.
- Led large-scale community project that, in one year, quadrupled the number of participants and attracted the attention of the Secretary of Transportation as the model for all districts to follow.
The Indiana Gazette, Indiana, PA, May 1982 to October 1984.
- Covered news and feature assignments, winning statewide award for ongoing news reporting of Indiana University of Pennsylvania; performed daily page layout.
Education / Miscellaneous / Awards
- BA-Journalism, Indiana University of Pennsylvania, 1982
- Adjunct Professor, “Problem Solving in Public Relations,” Indiana University of Pennsylvania
- Instructor, “Principles of Public Relations,” Robert Morris College
- Subject of feature articles in USA Today, Jan. 2001, and Aug. 2009
- 2010 Cicero Speechwriting Award (national)
- 2010 PRSA Renaissance Award – FPL Sustainability Report writing
- National Award of Excellence – 2008 Platinum PR Awards, NYC
- Award of Honor – 2008 IABC Golden Triangle Awards
- Silver Award – 2005 Admissions Advertising Awards, IUP Recruitment DVD Script
- Award of Honor – 2005 IABC Golden Triangle Awards
- Award of Excellence – 2004 IABC Golden Triangle Awards
- Award of Excellence – 2003 IABC Golden Triangle Awards
- Award of Excellence – 2002 PRSA Pepperpot Awards (Lehigh Valley, PA)
- Award of Honor – 2001 IABC Golden Triangle Awards
- Award of Excellence – 2000 IABC Silver Inkwell Awards (Washington, DC)
- Award of Excellence – 2000 IABC Golden Triangle Awards
- Award of Honor – 2000 PRSA Renaissance Awards
- Award of Honor – 2000 IABC Golden Triangle Awards
- Gold Award: 1999 Mellon Financial Corp. Annual Report – 1999 International ARC Awards
- Award of Merit– 1999 Public Relations Society of America Awards
- Award of Honor – 1994 IABC District III Winner’s Circle Awards
- Award of Excellence – 1993 IABC Golden Triangle Awards
- Award of Honor – 1993 IABC Golden Triangle Awards
- First Place: 1993 PNC Bank Annual Report – American Business Communicators
- Bronze Award: 1993 PNC Bank Annual Report – 1993 International ARC Awards
- First Place Award for News Reporting in Pennsylvania – 1985 CUPRAP Awards
References – Tim Hayes
James E. Rohr
Chairman and Chief Executive Officer (Retired)
The PNC Financial Services Group
One PNC Plaza
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
John P. Surma, Jr.
Chairman and Chief Executive Officer (Retired)
United States Steel Corp.
600 Grant Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
Robert L. Yeager
Emerson Process Management
200 Beta Drive
Pittsburgh, PA 15238
Ira J. Gumberg
J.J. Gumberg Co.
Brinton Executive Center
1051 Brinton Road
Pittsburgh, PA 15221-4599
Terry L. Dunlap
ATI Allegheny Ludlum
100 River Road
Brackenridge, PA 15104